Police watchdog issues update on toddler Bronson Battersby found dead next to dad's body

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has concluded its investigation into the involvement of Lincolnshire Police in the events leading up to the discover of the body of two-year-old Bronson Battersby.

The toddler was tragically found to have died of dehydration, having been found dead along with his father in Skegness on 9 January.

An inquest heard that Bronson had been living with his father Kenneth when police had been called by a 'concerned neighbour' who said they hadn't seen any sign of life from Kenneth Battersby's flat and had noticed a strange smell.

Authorities managed to get into Kenneth's flat and found the man dead on his living room floor, with his two-year-old son also dead along with him.

Kenneth was believed to have suffered a heart attack at his home, leaving two-year-old Bronson with nobody to care for him.


Bronson Battersby and his father Kenneth were found dead on 9 January. (Facebook / Sarah Louise Piesse)

A social worker who had spoken to Kenneth on 27 December, 2023 had visited the flat on 2 January but received no response when they knocked on the door.

They had 'made inquiries at other addresses where the child could be' and contacted the police, while they also visited the flat again on 4 January and once again contacted the police.

Following the discovery of the bodies of Bronson and his father the IOPC began an investigation after a referral by Lincolnshire Police.

In a statement they said they've reviewed all of the calls and contacts made between 2 January and the discovery of the two bodies.

In an update the police watchdog said they'd not found any indication that a police officer or member of staff had breached professional standards.


An inquest into the toddler's death by the IOPC said it found 'no indication' that Lincolnshire Police had failed to meet standards. (Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse)

Regional Director for the IOPC, Derrick Campbell, said: "This is a harrowing case, and our sympathies go out to everyone affected by the sad deaths of Bronson and Kenneth.

"It was appropriate we carried out a thorough investigation into the relevant contact between police and social services.

"At the end of our six-month investigation, we have concluded that there was no indication any Lincolnshire Police officer or member of staff may have breached police professional standards."

Bronson's sister had previously said she didn't blame social services or the police, but welcomed inquests into the toddler's death.

She said: "I don't place any blame at all on them. I believe that social services and the police did what they could within the powers that they had and the information that they were given.

"I'm glad that an inquiry is going to take place into whether there were any failings, missed opportunities. I'm really glad that is going to take place."

An inquest into Bronson Battersby's death has been adjourned until 10 December.Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse



Police issue new statement after 2-year-old boy is found starved to death next to dad's body
Bronson Battersby was found in his home on January 9

Police in Lincolnshire have issued a new statement following the death of a two-year-old toddler.

Bronson Battersby was found dehydrated and starved to death next to the body of his father, Kenneth, on January 9.

The 60-year-old is believed to have suffered a heart attack at his flat in Skegness, Lincolnshire, some time after Boxing Day.

Meanwhile, the toddler - who was under children's services care - was left alone for two weeks in the dark, unable to eat and drink.



Lincolnshire Police has previously said it was contacted by a Lincolnshire County Council social worker who got no answer when they tried knocking on the door of the home.

A spokesperson for the county council confirmed that the social worker had communicated with Mr Battersby on December 27 and arranged to visit on January 2.

The social worker then 'made inquiries at other addresses where the child could be' and contacted the police.

After a second unannounced visit on January 4 also went unanswered, Lincolnshire Police were said to have been contacted again.

Days later, on January 9, the social worker was let into the property by the landlord, where Mr Battersby and his son were found dead.

In a statement today (January 19), Lincolnshire Police's Deputy Chief Constable Julia Debenham acknowledged that the death of Bronson, and his father Kenneth had 'understandably captured the attention and hearts of the public'.

She added: "The full circumstances involved are now the subject of a review and details will be examined within that, which will determine if there are lessons for any agency to learn.



"What I would like to make clear is that we did respond to information supplied to us, but for reasons of transparency we have also referred the case to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

"This is standard procedure, and they will be undertaking their own independent investigation."

Ms Debenham reassured members of the community that the force 'take necessary and appropriate action' when they receive calls regarding children.

She added: "Any speculation around the exact actions of any agencies involved at this stage is premature, though I do understand why our communities want answers as soon as possible.

"I know there are many questions about the exact actions that the police took, and we are limited in what we can say because of the pending inquiries.

"I would like to reassure the public that where we get calls for concern in relation to children, we take necessary and appropriate action to make sure they are as safe as possible, which is always based on the best information and intelligence available to us."



Lincolnshire County Council has begun to carry out a 'rapid review' of various agencies in the area following the tragic deaths.

Heather Sandy, executive director for children’s services at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “This was a tragic incident, and we are supporting the family at this difficult time.

“We are currently carrying out a review of the case alongside partner agencies to better understand the circumstances, and we await the results of the coroner’s investigations as well.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved.



Police issue major update after Channel 4 paramedic found dead next to his girlfriend
He was discovered dead at his home on tuesday

Police have issued a major update after a Channel 4 paramedic was found dead next to his girlfriend's body.

Daniel Duffield was discovered dead at his home in Cannock on Tuesday (25 June), next to Lauren Evans.

The 24-year-old appeared in the 11th series of TV show 999: On the Frontline, and his friend and co-star Ellie called him the 'most kind hearted person' and the 'best crew mate'.

Duffield and Evans' deaths were being treated as a double-murder investigation but now officers understand that no one else was involved.

Following post-mortems, a file is now being prepared for the coroner as specialist officers continue to support their families.

Duffield was found dead earlier this week.

Staffordshire Police said today in a statement: "We can now confirm that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths of a woman and a man in Hednesford.

"On Tuesday (25 June), we were alerted by our colleagues at West Midlands Ambulance Service who were at an address in Alpine Drive in Hednesford. Sadly, 22-year-old Lauren Evans, from Bridgend, South Wales, and 24-year-old Daniel Duffield, from Cannock, were found inside.

"Post-mortems were concluded today (Friday 28 June). The cause of death is a matter for an inquest in due course. As we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths, a file is being prepared for the coroner. Specialist officers are continuing to support the families of those involved."

Detective Superintendent Nicki Addison, from the force's Major Investigations Department, said: "This incident has understandably devastated the families and loved ones of those involved.

Duffield and his co-star and crew mate.

“We’d like to reiterate that the families have asked for their privacy to be respected at this tragic time. Please respect that. And again, we’d like to remind you that speculation is unhelpful and hurtful to the families – and can hinder our investigation.

“I’d like to thank everyone who has given us information. We expect the scene to be released once we’ve finished all of our investigative work and forensic examination.”

Following the news of Duffield's death earlier this week, West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “Daniel Duffield was a well-known member of staff and always keen to help and support his colleagues.

"His death at such a young age is a great tragedy.

"I hope Daniel’s family can take some comfort from the hundreds of patients he helped through his time as a paramedic.

"Our thoughts go out to the families of both of those found at the scene.



Police arrest suspect after human remains found in London linked to body parts discovered in suitcase on bridge
Body parts were found in two suitcases and at a flat in London

Police have made an arrest in a grisly case after human remains in London were linked to body parts found inside a suitcase in Bristol.

They confirmed that armed officers from Avon and Somerset Police arrested a 24-year-old man at Temple Meads Station in the early hours of Saturday (13 July) morning.

The Metropolitan Police have said he will be taken to London later today for questioning.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Andy Valentine said: "This is a significant development in our investigation and I would like to thank the public for their support.

"We understand the concerns of local communities in both Bristol and London and officers will remain in the Clifton and Shepherd’s Bush areas over the coming days to reassure those affected by this tragic incident.

"Anyone with any concerns is encouraged to speak with them."


Two suitcases containing body parts were found in the area of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol. 

Police had named a suspect in the case as Colombian man Yostin Andres Mosquera, aged 24, and as part of the investigation had released images of him to the public.

Officers in Bristol had been alerted on Wednesday (10 July) night to a man acting suspiciously on the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, leaving behind a suitcase and disappearing from the scene before they could arrive.

A second suitcase was found nearby and they contained body parts with the victims believed to be two men.

Witnesses said that the man had arrived at the Clifton Suspension Bridge in a taxi with a suitcase that appeared to be leaking blood, and was claimed to have been chased off by a cyclist as he left the 'tatty' suitcase behind.

Police later confirmed that a taxi had been seized and the driver was helping officers with the investigation.

The body parts contained within the two suitcases were later connected to human remains found at a flat in Shepherd's Bush, West London.

Police officers found those remains on the Friday (12 July), and believe that both of the victims were known to Mosquera.


Two days later human remains were found at a property in London, and now an arrest has been made. 

Officers cordoned off the area around the home and a helicopter was spotted flying above the property.

A 36-year-old man was arrested in Greenwich on that same day in connection with the investigation, but he was released without charge.

This is the latest in a series of cases where victims have been stuffed inside suitcases for their remains to be disposed of.

Speaking on previous cases, criminologist Dr Honor Doro Townshend had told LADbible that carrying out a 'suitcase murder' was usually a sign that the killer was 'doing everything that they can to get away with it'.

She explained that while this might be the thinking behind people who would try to dispose of their victims inside a suitcase, it was ultimately quite 'stupid' as many killers used cases belonging to them which left plenty of forensic evidence.

Anyone who has information is urged to call police on 101 quoting CAD 306/12JUL.

To remain anonymous, please contact Crimestoppers.



Police release images of suspect after human remains found in suitcases on bridge
Two suitcases appearing to contain human remains were found

Police have released images of a suspect after human remains were found in two suitcases left by Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol.

Police were called to the landmark bridge following reports of a man with a suitcase acting suspiciously on Wednesday (11 July), just before midnight.

Officers arrived at the scene less than 10 minutes before the man had left.

A total of two suitcases have been found and police are looking for this man:


The suspect captured on CCTV. 

Avon and Somerset police said: “Officers arrived at the bridge within 10 minutes, but the man had already left the area, leaving the suitcase behind.

"A second suitcase was located nearby a short time later. Sadly, it's believed the suitcases contain human remains."

Acting Bristol Commander Vicks Hayward-Melen said: “An immediate search of the area was carried out by officers on the ground with the support of the National Police Air Service and HM Coastguard following the discovery of the suitcases.

“These searches remain ongoing.

“Initial inquiries have established the man was taken to the bridge in a taxi.

“This vehicle has been seized and the driver is helping us with our inquiries.

“Specialist crime scene investigators are currently examining the bridge and surrounding area, and the bridge will remain closed while these inquiries are conducted.”

Police added: "There is currently an increased police presence in the area and anyone who has concerns is encouraged to speak to an officer.
/
Name

Blog,818,Entertainments,818,News,818,
ltr
item
Nara: Police watchdog issues update on toddler Bronson Battersby found dead next to dad's body
Police watchdog issues update on toddler Bronson Battersby found dead next to dad's body
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgNZL_1-etPWLIA-Jh5KML1E_BgV_1bDxwnEaMfwg0m4XM763BzWehzFepROcNo8LmtIfdkmsMOplU3Ch5k_EzqDjFMVm__r-x_Kyt6CKk_a6yRJwPkM-81o6iYvYr_0c_gi9k5-lq8x4dqTtr336tHVnPQMRicf8SUlmwtIb-MB8mJD039Z2-zd1cYZxkp/w640-h361/resize%20(1).webp
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgNZL_1-etPWLIA-Jh5KML1E_BgV_1bDxwnEaMfwg0m4XM763BzWehzFepROcNo8LmtIfdkmsMOplU3Ch5k_EzqDjFMVm__r-x_Kyt6CKk_a6yRJwPkM-81o6iYvYr_0c_gi9k5-lq8x4dqTtr336tHVnPQMRicf8SUlmwtIb-MB8mJD039Z2-zd1cYZxkp/s72-w640-c-h361/resize%20(1).webp
Nara
https://www.dailyhotnewsfb.pro/2024/09/police-watchdog-issues-update-on.html
https://www.dailyhotnewsfb.pro/
https://www.dailyhotnewsfb.pro/
https://www.dailyhotnewsfb.pro/2024/09/police-watchdog-issues-update-on.html
true
7274406411116273701
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content